Groeningemuseum - More info
The Groeninge Museum is located in the Groeninge district, on the former site of the Eekhoutabdij (Eekhout Abbey). It was designed by architect Joseph Viérin, and as of 1930 it centralised Bruges’ collection of paintings, which had until then been rather scattered. Since 1995, an adjoining neo-gothic building by architect Jean-Baptiste Bethune has provided extra space. Viérin’s building underwent a complete renovation in 2002, and the area housing the permanent collection was also recently refurbished.
The focal point of the collection is without a doubt the world famous collection of Flemish Primitive paintings, with masterpieces by Jan van Eyck, Hans Memling, Hugo van der Goes, and Gerard David.
Also important are pieces by internationally successful neoclassical painters (late 18th century). Artists such as Suvée, Duvivier, Ducq, Odevaere, and Kinsoen are known as for their historical paintings and portraits in a cool, Greco-Roman style.
The remarkable collection of Flemish expressionist paintings also deserves attention, with works by Permeke, De Smet, Van den Berghe, Brusselmans, and Tytgat.
The international reputation enjoyed by the Groeninge Museum is due not only to its exceptional permanent collection, but also to the prestigious temporary exhibitions that are regularly held here.