Map walking tour (PDF:
This city quarter is dominated by the new Concert
Leave the Burg via Breidelstraat.
Muntplein: in the quiet Muntplein you can see ‘Flandria Nostra’, a statue of Mary of Burgundy on horseback.
Prinsenhof: on the site of the present-day Prinsenhof building, the Bruges residence of the
Dukes of Burgundy once stood.
Sebrechts Park: a green oasis in the city centre.
Speelmanskapel: (Minstrels’ Chapel): the former guild chapel (1421) of the minstrels or musicians
Chapel of Our Lady of the Blind, Kreupelenstraat: 17th-century chapel with a unique pulpit
(1659) and a beautiful, polychrome, gilded statue from the 14th century of Our Lady of the Blind. Adjoining is a worship complex.
Blacksmith’s Gate (Smedenpoort): constructed in 1367-68, and subsequently renovated a number of times. Above the gate hangs a bell that was used to announce the gate’s closing hour in the evening. The bronze skull recalls the treachery of a citizen of Ghent, who in 1688 secretly plotted to open the gate to let in the French invaders led by Louis XIV.
De Bond, Buiten Smedenvest 1: This old cotton and wool mill (1861) just outside the city ramparts is now used by the Bruges Cultural Centre as a creative space for the exhibition of recent work by trendsetting contemporary artists from home and abroad.
Walk along the city fortifications: parallel to H. Consciencelaan.
Waterhuis: a 14th century building that represented an important link in the Bruges water supply network until the mid-18th century.
St. Godelieve’s Abbey (1623), Boeveriestraat 45.
Capucin Church, Boeveriestraat 18.
Dumery Bell: former fire alarm bell from the Belfry, placed here in memory of the Dumery bell foundry (18th century), which was located in this neighbourhood. Near the end of the street, on the right side, are a number of typical almshouses: ‘Van Campen’ (1436), ‘Gloribus’ (1634), and ‘Sucx’ (1436) The names refer to the families who founded them.
Concert Hall: a fourth presence on the skyline that has been dominated for centuries by the Belfry, the Church of Our Lady and St. Saviour's Cathedral. The design is by the architects Robbrecht and Daem. The Concert Hall was a triumph of technical ingenuity, shaped by a highly personal vision. Be overwhelmed by the perfect acoustics during one of the many performances in the Kamermuziekzaal or the Concertzaal.
Group of statues at fountain: in all, there are four groups of statues: ‘The Bathing Ladies’ (symbolising the Flemish cities of Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp and Kortrijk), ‘Flemish Landscape’, ‘The Fishermen’, referring to the link between Bruges and the sea) and ‘The Cyclists’. Created in 1985-86 by the artistic couple, Stefaan Depuydt and Livia Canestraro.