Walking tour Bruges and Europe
Bruges and Europe (4,2 km) Map
walking tour (PDF: 91,0 kB)
This walking tour leads through the former Hanseatic Bruges, i.e. the city quarter where most foreign merchant houses and consulates were established in the 14th-15th centuries.
Leave Burg square via Burgstraat towards Philipstockstraat.
Royal City Theatre, Vlamingstr. 29: The Bruges City Theatre (1869) is one of the best preserved theatre buildings in Europe and has recently been restored to its former glory. The sober but elegant neo-Renaissance façade conceals a majestic auditorium and a foyer in eclectic style. This historic setting is regularly used by the Bruges Culture Centre as an important platform for contemporary dance, theatre and concerts.
House Ter Beurze, Vlamingstraat 35: in front of this house local and foreign
merchants talked business and changed money. The name of the Van der Beurze family, owners of the house, gave birth to the notion ‘bourse’ (stock exchange) which was adopted in many languages.
Burghers’ Lodge, Academiestraat 14: 15th-century building, former meetingplace of well-to-do Bruges burghers and foreign merchants. From a niche in the façade the Bruges Bear, one of the oldest and most prominent inhabitants of the city, looks down on the street.
Jan van Eyckplein
Old Toll House, Jan van Eyckplein 2: in this recently restored building (built in 1477), toll
was levied on the goods brought in by ship from Bruges’ outer ports. It now houses a provincial information office. In the same square, you can admire the statue of Jan van
Eyck, the famous 15th-century Flemish painter. Close by are Woensdagmarkt (statue of Hans Memling) and Oosterlingenplein where the German Hanseatic League had its headquarters.
Leave Jan Van Eyckplein towards Spiegelrei
Then to the right across the bridge, towards
Episcopal Seminary, Potterierei 72: : former Cistercian abbey called ‘Ter Duinen’, with an impressive 18th century church.
O.-L.-Vrouw van de Potterie (chapel & museum), Potterierei 79: former hospital (13th century), today museum. The museum, located in the historical wing displays works by Brugean artists and craftsmen from the 14th century on (paintings, gothic and renaissance furniture and sculptures, an important collection of silverware, old Flemish breviaries, etc.).
On leaving the chapel go left, then cross the first bridge. Across the bridge go left again
and follow Langerei, Annuntiatenstraat and Collaert Mansionstraat towards St. Giles’
St. Giles’ Church: 15th-century building. Inside are a.o. four remarkable paintings (1774) by Brugean painter Jan Garemijn, depicting the history of the former ‘Trinitarian’-brotherhood. The church organ is considered one of the best in the city
Carmelites’ Church, Ezelstraat 28: baroque church (1688-91) with a 17th century
plague house in the garden.
Joseph Rylandt Concert Hall, Ezelstraat 3: named after the Brugean composer (1870-1965).
Formerly used by the Anglican Church, the building now serves as a concert hall. The façade shows a baroque and exuberant sculpture group (1987, by Stefaan Depuydt and Livia Canestraro) representing the art of music.
Donkey’s gate (Ezelpoort): recently restored 14th-century city gate. Little remains of the original construction that was rebuilt several times. Go back now through Ezelstraat, towards
St. James’ Church:built about 1240 and largely extended in the 15th century, thanks to generous donatians by the Dukes of Burgundy. Extremely rich collection of works of art, a.o.
mausoleum of Ferry De Gros (+ 1544), treasurer of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
City Music School, St.-Jakobsstraat 23-25.
Bladelin Court, Naaldenstraat 19: built ca 1440 by Pieter Bladelin, treasurer of the Order of the Golden Fleece. The walls surrounding the charming inner garden show nice stone medallions representing portraits of the former inhabitants.
City Library De Biekorf, Bruges Cultural Centre and the Biekorf Hall, Kuipersstraat 3.